The following are guidelines to help you to complete your Health Science Application. If you don't see the answer to your particular question, PLEASE ASK Michelle Mosier in Birck 348 or 630-829-6232.
Application and Interview Questions
- My GPA is not high enough - I don't have enough hours (30) here at BenU. Can I still go through the committee?
- If your GPA is close or you don't have enough hours, you need to speak with Dr. Tischler. She can review applicants on a case-by-case basis. You must have a signed approval sheet from her attached to your application packet when you apply to be considered.
- What kind of photo do I need to use?
- Photos are used to make sure the person filling out the application is the person coming through the interviews. It is also used when the committee discusses each candidate. There are a lot of you interviewing and it helps the committee to have a photo in front of them to make sure they are thinking of and discussing the right candidate. You DO NOT need to have professionally taken photos or passport photos. You can use a color or black & white photo. You can use a photo that you have sitting on you desk, your driver's license, a photo that you just took in Coal Ben... any photo is OK as long as it is of you and your face is clearly visible (and a school appropriate photo). Tape, glue, staple the photo to your application and then make 5 copies of that first page. You can upload a digital photo onto the application if you have the ability to do so. If using individual photos, PLEASE make sure they are securely attached to each application.
- How long does my personal statement need to be?
- Personal statements should be 1 to 1 1/2 pages long. The can be single or double spaced. No less than 3/4 of a page single-spaced. The length of your answer is not as important as the quality of the writing. Make sure you proofread for mistakes and typos.
- How many activities do I need to list? I am super active and have a ton... I don't spend much time on campus...
- The number of activities you list depends on you. We want to see that you are a well-rounded individual. Do you tutor at your church? Teach a language at your youth center? Are you a coach for the park district league? These activities can be listed just the same as being a Chem TA or grader. List what you do that keeps you busy.
- How do I need to turn in my application?
- Once you have completed your application and have made your 5 additional copies (6 total - one original and 5 copies) here's how I want it:
- Staple each copy of your applications together.
- Put them in a pile.
- On top of that pile put the signed "Academic Honesty" form (just ONE copy. You DO NOT need to have one on each copy of your application).
- Then on the very top - the Checklist. (again, just one copy - not 6).
- Paperclip the entire bundle together or put it in a large envelope and turn it in to the box in Birck 348.
- I have already turned in my application but I was wondering how do we sign up for interviews? Can we automatically sign up at each of the committee member's doors once we turn in our application? Or, do we have to wait until we get an email that says when we need to sign up?
- SPRING: Based on the number of applications, you may be separated into interviewing time blocks. This allows for equity among the students interviewing and a manageable work load for the committee members. Dr. Tischler will evaluate the applications each session to determine if time block sessions are necessary. If this happens, you will be notified via email no later than the MONDAY after the applications are due. If you do not recieve an email, you are free to go to the committee member's door and sign up.
FALL: Most likely there will not be interviewing groups in the fall. You are free to sign up as soon as the sign up sheets are posted.
- When are the sign up sheets posted? Where are they posted?
- The Committee members will have sign up sheets posted on their door. Committee members need to see how many applicants will be going through in a session so they can designate the appropriate amount of time for interviews. If the applications are due on Friday, the members will begin to post their sheets on Monday. Some members may not begin their interviews on the "interview start date". Please be patient.
- I went through the committee three years ago and I need a letter sent out now. Do I have to go through the Interview sessions again? Can my letter be updated?
- Once you go through the Interviewing process, you do not need to do it again. We hold letter files for ten years and a letter can be requested at any time. If you need to add experience relevant to your career choice, email Dr. Tischler email@example.com with the updates. Your letter will go out with current date, updated GPA and/or graduation date and any information Dr. Tischler adds per your request at her discretion. Please remember that we cannot assess courses taken elsewhere after you graduate. The letter will read "Since graduation 'the student' reports that..."
- I am changing my focus. I no longer want to be an MD I want to be a dentist... (or any switch from your original interview). What about my letter?
- The letter can be adjusted for whatever focus you choose. If you change from your original interview focus, you will need to email Dr. Tischler with your changes AND any relevant information/experiences you have had for your new choice. She will evaluate the information and get back to you about updating your letter. Letters are requested the same way, but for clarity, please just write on your request form "CHANGING TO XXXXXXXX" and circle it or highlight it just to make sure the correct letter is used.
- Is it possible for me to have all my letters of recommendation (I am anticipating receiving 3 besides the committee letter) sent together as a "letter packet"? Is it possible for them to be uploaded together into my AMCAS Profile?
- Each of your letters requires its own letter ID number. When you set up your AMCAS account you enter who will be submitting each of your letters individually. When you enter Dr. Tischler's contact information, she receives an email with her letter ID on it. It's that number that we use on your letter so that they can match the letter with the request. I don't believe that there is any such thing as a "letter packet" since each letter is uploaded individually. Each person that submits a letter for you will have their own unique letter ID number.
- Do I have to designate which schools I want it sent to even if it is uploaded electronically to AMCAS (or Interfolio)?
- If you are sending your recommendation letters to the professional schools electronically through AMCAS, you don't need to tell me where they are going - I just need to get it into AMCAS. Only the $5.00 electronic upload fee is required.